How to clean
As we have suspended cleaning all housemates must clean the flat and keep it tidy, some kindness for those who have questions or perhaps are not used to cleaning:
- You must clean up after yourself and as you go. Each time you cook (even if you just cut a slice of bread) you will have created crumbs and dirt. You must clean, wipe the surfaces, and clean the utensils you’ve used (or put them into the dishwasher). Please use cleaning products which are designed for wiping surfaces such as the antibacterial spray or bleach which kill bacterias and viruses. Wash the dishes with hot water and washing up liquid and make sure they are properly disinfected as you are sharing those with your housemates.
- It’s an excellent idea to join together and make a bi-monthly rota to make sure the place is swept, hoovered, mopped, bathrooms cleaned etc… In this way, you can fairly share these responsibilities as every person will be doing the cleaning once a week. Again, please use the appropriate cleaning products for the bathroom (bleach, antibacterial spray) and other common areas so it is properly disinfected.
- Please remember about washing your hands! It is critical under the current circumstances to frequently wash your hands to prevent the spread of the virus. You should always wash your hands with soap and warm water for 20-30 seconds after using the bathroom, going in the house from the outdoors, before preparing and eating a meal, taking out the rubbish, or touching anything that somebody else might have been touching earlier etc.. Using hand sanitiser can help with keeping your hands clean but soap and warm water are generally the most effective. Below, you will see how to wash your hands properly.
- Also, remember about taking frequent showers and washing your clothes to keep yourself clean, especially if you have been outdoors.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth as you can transfer the virus from your hands into your body.
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, stay home and seek medical help. You can call your local surgery or write to them online. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
- Consider using a face mask and gloves when going out to the grocery store as this provides extra protection. Please use those especially if you are suffering from cough and cold so you don’t infect others.
- Social distancing between housemates – unless it is necessary, please maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and other people.
- Consider making a rota to use common areas to prepare food, use the bathroom, or stay in the sitting room so you minimise contact with other housemates.
- If you can, consider working in your room and ask your housemates if they could do the same. Alternatively, you could make a rota to use the sitting room/kitchen for work.